MISSISSAUGA – The Niagara IceDogs fell 6-3 to the Mississauga Steelheads in Mississauga on Friday night.
Mitchell Theoret got the IceDogs in front, scoring only 14 seconds into the game. The IceDogs had several other close scoring chances in the opening minutes, but were unable to extend the lead and Mississauga would add a pair of goals in the final three minutes to send the IceDogs into the first intermission trailing 2-1. Shots after one period would favour Niagara 15-11.
The second period saw Brett Ritchie continue his strong play, as he netted his 11th goal in his last four games to knot things up at 2-2 at the 9:55 mark. The IceDogs then found themselves on an extended 5-on-3 penalty kill and nearly killed it off, but Mississauga finally struck with two seconds left on the 5-on-3 to make it 3-2.
Mississauga added another goal in the final minute of the frame to send the IceDogs into the intermission down 4-3. Shots after 40 minutes were 22-17 IceDogs.
Theoret scored just over a minute into the third to cut the IceDogs deficit to 4-3. Mississauga answered back however to put the IceDogs down two once again 5-3. They added an empty-netter to hand the IceDogs a 6-3 loss.
The IceDogs return home to St. Catharines where they will play host to the visiting Peterborough Petes Saturday night at 7 p.m.
1. NIAG M. Theoret, (7) (D. Hamilton, L. Mercer), 0:14
1. MISS T. Carrick, (3) , 17:15
1. MISS S. Cobbold, (4) (T. Carrick, R. Brace), 19:01 (PP)
2. NIAG B. Ritchie, (15) (R. Strome), 9:55
2. MISS R. Brace, (7) (J. Burnside, S. Percy), 15:00 (PP)
2. MISS B. MacIntyre, (2) (T. Carrick, A. Cord), 19:16
3. NIAG M. Theoret, (8) (C. Verhaeghe, L. Mercer), 1:08
3. MISS J. Burnside, (4) (D. Smoskowitz), 10:56
3. MISS D. DeMelo, (5) , 18:48 (EN)