Special to Bullet News
BELLEVILLE – The Niagara IceDogs fell to the Belleville Bulls 6-2 on Wednesday night.
The first period would be one to forget for the IceDogs as they fell behind 1-0 4:05 in and Belleville found the back of the net twice more before the end of the period.
The IceDogs were unable to beat Malcolm Subban in the period, as the visitors trailed 3-0 after one. Shots after the first were 16-9 Belleville.
The IceDogs came out strong in the second as Brett Ritchie tallied only 20 seconds into the frame, cutting the deficit to 3-1.
The teams exchanged chances as the second period continued, with Chris Festarini making a number of strong stops, until Mitchell Theoret brought the IceDogs within one, firing one by Subban at the 14:17 mark of the period to make it 3-2.
Belleville connected on the powerplay however before the end of the period to make the IceDogs deficit two again at 4-2. Shots after 40 minutes were 27-20 in favour of the home side.
Belleville scored 5:36 into the third period to stretch the lead to 5-2. Belleville would then add one more goal late to make it a 6-2 final. Final shots were 37-33 for Belleville.
The IceDogs visit the Mississauga Steelheads on Friday night before returning home to St. Catharines on Saturday night to play host to the visiting Brampton Battalion.
1. BELV C. Heffernan, (1) (J. Subban), 4:05
1. BELV J. Cramarossa, (4) (J. Subban), 13:09
1. BELV S. Simmonds, (2) (A. Bignell), 15:28
2. NIAG B. Ritchie, (22) (R. Strome, M. Theoret), 0:19 (PP)
2. NIAG M. Theoret, (12) (D. Hamilton), 14:17
2. BELV B. Austin, (1) (J. Subban, C. Sandlak), 16:18 (PP)
3. BELV M. Curtis, (6) (J. Cardwell, S. Silas), 5:36