MISSISSAUGA – The Niagara IceDogs picked up a 6-4 road victory over the Central Division rival Mississauga Steelheads on Friday night.
Carter Verhaeghe got the IceDogs started only 1:10 in, beating Mississauga starter Spencer Martin. Mitchell Theoret extended the lead to 2-0 just past the midpoint of the period and Brett Ritchie kept things rolling less than a minute later to make it 3-0.
Steven Shipley would finish off a fantastic first period for the IceDogs, adding a fourth IceDogs goal in the final minute of the period. Shots after one favoured Niagara 23-5.
The second period had IceDogs keeping up the pressure, putting up another 20 shots. Mississauga picked up a power-play goal early in the period. Shots after two periods favoured IceDogs 43-15.
Mississauga cut their deficit to 4-3 with just over 12 minutes remaining in the third. The IceDogs did not allow the game to stay that close for long as they answered just over two minutes later with a Ryan Strome goal just four seconds into a power-play opportunity to make it 5-3. Mississauga would not go away however, scoring again just 29 seconds after the IceDogs goal. Strome added an empty-netter with three seconds remaining.
The IceDogs play host to the Brampton Battalion Saturday.
1. NIAG C. Verhaeghe, (3) (J. Graham, S. Rover), 1:10
1. NIAG M. Theoret, (13) (R. Strome, J. Wigle), 12:46
1. NIAG B. Ritchie, (23) (R. Strome, D. Hamilton), 13:21
1. NIAG S. Shipley, (12) (A. DiFruscia, S. Rover), 19:07
2. MISS D. Smoskowitz, (19) (R. Brace, T. Carrick), 2:56 (PP)
3. MISS T. Carrick, (6) (J. Burnside, D. Smoskowitz), 5:49
3. MISS K. Kontos, (6) (S. Cobbold, R. Duhaime), 11:26
3. NIAG M. Theoret, (14) (R. Strome, D. Hamilton), 13:06 (PP)
3. MISS D. Smoskowitz, (20) , 13:35
3. NIAG R. Strome, (18) (B. Ritchie), 19:56 (EN)