Special to Bullet News
MISSISSAUGA – The Niagara IceDogs fell to the Mississauga Steelheads by a score of 5-2 in Mississauga on Friday night.
Both teams put in a solid defensive first period, keeping the game scoreless for much of the frame until Steven Shipley continued his strong play by picking up his fifth goal in the last three games to give the IceDogs a 1-0 lead 18:03 in.
The second period saw the IceDogs maintain their 1-0 lead for much of the period, until Mississauga final found the score sheet on the powerplay, making it 1-1 at the 14:25 mark. The scoringdid not stop there as Mississauga added two more quick goasl to take a 3-1 lead. The IceDogs answered back before the end of the period, as Aaron Haydon ripped one home to make it 3-2 after 40 minutes. Jordan Maletta picked up an assist on the play for his first point as an IceDog after being acquired earlier in the day.
Mississauga added two unanswered in the third period.
The IceDogs will now return home to St. Catharines where they will play host to the visiting Sarnia Sting Sunday afternoon at 2 p.m.
1. NIAG S. Shipley, (20) (C. Verhaeghe, A. Haydon), 18:03
2. MISS D. Smoskowitz, (26) (R. Brace, D. DeMelo), 14:25 (PP)
2. MISS R. Duhaime, (1) (A. Kopstals, T. Carrick), 14:50
2. MISS B. Foy, (8) (T. Welsh), 15:49
2. NIAG A. Haydon, (2) (J. Maletta, O. Kopta), 19:34
3. MISS D. Smoskowitz, (27) (J. Burnside, R. Brace), 11:06
3. MISS A. Cord, (2) (B. MacIntyre), 11:57