Special to Bullet News
The Niagara IceDogs fell to the visiting London Knights by a score of 5-1 Sunday afternoon. It was Niagara’s second loss of the weekend. They were defeated 3-2 Saturday in Owen Sound.
London opened the scoring midway through the first period to take a 1-0 lead. They would add a second at the 19:15 mark of the period to put the IceDogs down a pair after one.
London jumped up 3-0 early in the third before Steven Shipley cut the edge to 3-1.
London scored twice unanswered in the final frame.
On Saturday the IceDogs fell behind in the first period as Owen Sound struck first 8:12 in to make it a 1-0 game. Shots in the first were 13-8 Niagara.
The score remained that way for much of the second period until Brendan Perlini connected for the IceDogs to knot things up at 1-1 with just under five minutes remaining in the frame. Owen Sound answered back just over a minute later to retake the lead at 2-1. Unfazed the IceDogs continued to battle and Steven Shipley tied things up for the visitors, striking on the powerplay to make it 2-2 after 40 minutes. Shots after two were 26-17 IceDogs.
Owen Sound who eventually broke the deadlock, picking up a powerplay goal with 5:16 left in the third.
1. LDN B. Horvat, (26) (M. Rupert, R. Rupert), 9:50
1. LDN B. Welychka, (14) (C. Tierney, T. Ferry), 19:15
2. LDN M. Domi, (31) (B. Horvat, S. Harrington), 2:42 (PP)
2. NIAG S. Shipley, (27) (R. Strome, J. Graham), 12:31 (PP)
3. LDN M. Rupert, (25) (O. Maatta, A. Broadhurst), 11:28
3. LDN B. Horvat, (27) , 15:52 (PS)
1. OS G. Gabor, (5) (D. Catenacci, K. MacDermid), 8:12
2. NIAG B. Perlini, (7) (R. Strome, S. Rover), 15:03
2. OS D. Catenacci, (32) (D. Milne), 16:10
2. NIAG S. Shipley, (26) (R. Strome, J. Graham), 18:20 (PP)
3. OS C. Ceci, (13) (N. Chiarlitti, C. Brace), 14:44 (PP)