Special to Bullet News
The Niagara IceDogs fell to the visiting Mississauga Steelheads 8-2 at Jack Gatecliff Arena Thursday night.
The first period saw the teams exchange chances as the game remained scoreless for much of the frame. That changed when Mississauga opened the scoring with just 2:36 remaining.
The IceDogs got off to a tough start to the second, as Mississauga would add a pair of goals in the first 4:28 to stretch their lead to 3-0. Mississauga made the lead 4-0 just past the midway point of the frame before Steven Shipley got the IceDogs on the board with a powerplay goal at the 13:09 mark to make it a 4-1.
The IceDogs were unable to carry the momentum from the end of the second period into the third as Mississauga regained the momentum with a goal only 1:01 in to make it a 5-1 game. Things did not stop there as Mississauga added three more goals to take an 8-1 lead at the 12:36 mark of the third. Jordan Maletta picked up his second as an IceDog to make it an 8-2 game minutes later.
1. MISS A. Goldberg, (7) (B. Foy, D. Bourne), 17:24
2. MISS K. Kontos, (13) (T. Carrick, R. Brace), 1:07
2. MISS B. MacIntyre, (4) (T. Teichmann), 4:28
2. MISS B. Foy, (9) , 11:39
2. NIAG S. Shipley, (28) (L. Mercer, R. Strome), 13:09 (PP)
3. MISS R. Brace, (18) (S. Percy), 1:01
3. MISS A. Goldberg, (8) (B. Foy), 3:56
3. MISS K. Kontos, (14) (D. DeMelo), 6:21
3. MISS R. Brace, (19) (K. Kontos, D. Smoskowitz), 12:36
3. NIAG J. Maletta, (6) (C. Verhaeghe, S. Rover), 14:48