Special to Bullet News
The Niagara IceDogs fell to the Oshawa Generals by a score of 5-2 in a hard fought game one in Oshawa on Friday night.
The first period saw the IceDogs get off to a great start as Ryan Strome would put one home in front to give the IceDogs a 1-0 lead less than two minutes in. The IceDogs would carry that lead until the midway point of the period when Oshawa would strike to tie things up at 1-1. Oshawa would strike again less than a minute and half later to take the lead at 2-1.
The second period would see the IceDogs deficit increased to two as Oshawa would score 1:30 into the frame to make it a 3-1 game. The IceDogs would not let up however and Carter Verhaeghe would make a great move, scoring to bring the IceDogs back within one at 3-2 just prior to the midway point of the period. The score would remain that way through the rest of the frame as the IceDogs headed into the second intermission down one. Shots were 20-11 Oshawa through two.
The IceDogs would come out looking for the equalizer in the third, but would be unable to find it and at the midway point of the period, Oshawa would find an insurance marker, scoring to make it a 4-2 game. Oshawa would then add an empty net goal to make it a 5-2 final.
The IceDogs and Generals will return to action on Sunday night at 6:05 p.m. when Oshawa plays host to game two.
1. NIAG R. Strome, (1) (B. Ritchie, S. Shipley), 1:51
1. OSH L. Lessio, (1) (M. Dal Colle), 11:56
1. OSH M. Dal Colle, (1) (L. Lessio, G. Schemitsch), 13:11
2. OSH S. Laughton, (1) (C. Carlisle), 1:30
2. NIAG C. Verhaeghe, (1) (T. Mort, B. Perlini), 9:22 (PP)
3. OSH B. Latour, (1) (S. Laughton, S. Sabourin), 10:52
3. OSH S. Laughton, (2) , 19:21 (EN)