NIAGARA – For some Niagarans, regular dental care is a luxury.
Niagara Region helps families of school-aged children take preventive measures in dental care, offering school clinics that provide education on proper dental hygiene.
Beyond the elementary school program, families with youth up to age 17 can also take advantage of dental screenings at regular dental clinics, or via the region’s mobile dental clinic.
Unveiled in 2011, the mobile dental clinic is a 33-foot-long RV with a dental clinic on board. The RV travels throughout the region, visiting schools and community locations and providing children and youth free, preventive dental services, like screenings, fluoride treatments, cleaning (scaling and polishing), and the application of sealants. All services are provided by a registered dental hygienist and certified dental assistant. Parents are notified if an urgent dental condition is detected in the patient, or if further preventive services are required.
Niagara’s mobile dental clinic is 100 per cent funded by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, and is one component of Healthy Smiles Ontario, a program for children 17 and younger who do not have access to any form of dental coverage. If eligible, children will get regular dental services at no cost to the parent.
In Healthy Smiles Ontario, 36 public health units across Ontario are working with partners such as Community Health Centres, primary care providers, dentists, dental hygienists, hospitals, schools and universities to deliver this program.
To find out more about Healthy Smiles Ontario and to see if your family qualifies for dental services, call the ServiceOntario INFOline at 1-866-532-3161; TTY toll-free 1-800-387-5559. Healthy Smiles Ontario phone lines are available 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
If you are not eligible for the Healthy Smiles Ontario program, or to find out more about other dental services that may be available to you or your family, visit the following pages:
Upcoming events for Niagara’s Mobile Dental Clinic
* Jul 24, In St. Catharines at the Pen Centre, 221 Glendale Ave., from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
* Jul 25, in Welland at Seaway Mall, 800 Niagara St. N., from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
* Jul 26, in NOTL at the NOTL Community Centre, 10 Anderson Lane, 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
* Jul 29, in Wainfleet at the Wainfleet Township Public Library, 319090 Park St., 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
* July 30, in St. Catharines at the Kiwanis Aquatics Centre, 425 Carlton St., 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
* Jul 31, in Niagara Falls at the YMCA MacBain Centre, 7150 Montrose Rd., 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
* Aug 1, in Niagara Falls at the Community Health Centre, 4481 Queen St., 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
* Aug 6, in Port Colborne at Port Cares, 92 Charlotte St., 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
* Aug 7, in Lincoln at Sobey’s, 4610 Ontario St., 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
* Aug 8, in West Lincoln at the municipal office, 318 Canboro St., 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
* Aug 9, in Grimsby at the Grimsby Superstore, 361 South Service Rd., 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
* Aug 19, in Fort Erie at Joe’s Valu-mart, 311 Gorham Rd., 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
* Aug 20, in Wainfleet at the Township Public Library, 319090 Park St., 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
* Aug 21, in St. Catharines at the Walker YMCA, 25 YMCA Dr., 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
* Aug 22, in Niagara Falls at the Community Health Centre, 4481 Queen St., 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
* Aug 23, in NOTL at the NOTL Community Centre, 10 Anderson Lane, 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Please note: Appointments at the mobile dental clinic are needed. Call the region’s dental health line at 905-688-8248 or 1-888-505-6074, ext. 7399, to book an appointment.
To ask the region to send the Mobile Dental Clinic your way, contact them by filling out this form on the region’s website.
* * * *
Stay up-to-date. Click HERE to sign up for daily email alerts. It’s free, why not try