BUFFALO, N.Y. – The Buffalo and Fort Erie Public Bridge Authority has announced the completion of extensive site restoration efforts at the former location of eight Authority-owned properties along Busti Avenue in the City of Buffalo.
The property area—which was professionally designed with local resident feedback—now features more densely planted landscaping, berms, and native vegetation; thereby creating a visual buffer between the Peace Bridge Customs Plaza and adjacent Columbus Parkway and Prospect Hill Neighborhoods.
Additional highlights of the site restoration effort include:
- Planting of seasonal interests, such as evergreens, flowering trees, shade trees, low shrubs, perennials and spring bulbs.
- Formation of separate lawn paths to allow for frequent maintenance of the berm areas and overall site, as well as associated drainage improvements.
- Institution of naturalistic zones with native trees and plantings.
- The use of sweeping curve layouts to create three-dimensional viewsheds and increase visual depth of the site.
- Incorporation of large existing trees into the overall design.
- An expanded, permanent fenceline along the back edge of the site.
A total of 373 trees and large shrubs were planted at the site, which in ten years will annually mitigate roughly nine tons of atmospheric CO2, and over 13 tons annually in 20 years.
The PBA formally completed demolition work at the Busti Avenue site in Spring 2013. Subsequent restoration efforts, including backfilling, grading, and landscaping commenced shortly thereafter.
The Buffalo and Fort Erie Public Bridge Authority, a binational bridge authority, has owned and operated the Peace Bridge since 1933. The bridge, which was opened to traffic in 1927, spans the Niagara River between Fort Erie, Ontario, and Buffalo, New York, and is a key international border crossing.
(Submitted by the Buffalo and Fort Erie Public Bridge Authority)
* * * *
Stay up-to-date. Click HERE to sign up for daily email alerts. It’s free, why not try it?